25.3.03

This afternoon brought a small swell of pride and sense of achievement: I received my bronze badge for making a tenth donation to the National Blood Service. It's something I've been looking forward to for some time and actually four months overdue, as today was my 11th time, and they forgot to give me my badge when I last went back in November.

Although I first gave about 10 years ago, I've only been serious about it since moving down to London. This first landmark makes me feel I'm doing something worthwhile. And I know for a fact that I am. When Josh got ill with an ulcer earlier this year, he needed a transfusion of four units of blood. Being brothers, we happen to be the same group (B+). Without the help of regular donors, there may not have been the blood he needed to recover. It's unlikely that he received any of mine, but if people don't keep giving then stocks are going to dry up pretty quickly. For instance, the UK's national stock of B+ (which excludes any held in individual hospital blood banks) is only enough to keep the country going for 12.5 days. And O- (the most useful since it can be given to anyone) only clocks in at just short of a week. Scary, huh? Especially so in this time of war.

So I'd urge everyone who hasn't done it to go do it - even in the US, where they actually pay you for the stuff, whether you need the money or not, do it for the benefit of others. Overcome any fear of needles you may have - it's virtually painless, and you don't have to look (although I can guarantee that just out of curiosity, you will).

Give blood, and you'll end up feeling as chuffed with yourself as I do today.

No comments: