4.3.03

So having missed the chance to see Adaptation yesterday, due to Weebl and Bob, I wound up watching Steven Soderbergh's remake of "Solaris". Heaven knows how Tarkovsky's original measures up, but if it's anything like this beautiful, beguiling, baffling and brilliant film then I want to see it asap. I recommend it with extreme prejudice to anyone with either the faintest liking for scifi or an interest in George Clooney's bottom.

But it got me thinking about whether it would make it into my SF Top Ten - which is a scary big question in itself. Where to start?

First you've got your old classics such as The Day The Earth Stood Still, Metropolis, Forbidden Planet and (sorry Stanley) 2001.

Then there's the modern landmarks, such as Those Films by George Lucas (but mostly Empire and A New Hope), The Matrix, the first two parts of the Alien series, Blade Runner, Close Encounters, Twelve Monkeys, Terminator and T2, or even ET.

Of course you can't forget films like the wonderful Brazil, or any that hit that scifi/horror border, such as The Thing (either version), Body Snatchers (again, you choose), Predator or Alien 3.

And I might even consider The Wrath of Khan (but that's my one concession to Trekkies). However all calls for Independence Day to be included will be politely ignored.

There are loads I've forgotten, though, and I can't even begin to decide on a "Best Of" list without a refresher. I value your input. In short... help!

No comments: