16.8.03

Wilkommen. Bienvenue. Welcome. C'mon in.

The premature death several years ago of Madeline Kahn still makes me sad. She was a supremely funny actress, probably best known for her work with Mel Brooks back when he still had it, but with far more to her repertoire than often given credit for.

Last night I got in from a rather liquid-oriented engagement with a few colleagues and, as is the wont of the drunken fool on a Friday evening, flicked on the TV to see what could distract me in my addled state. Luckily, the perfect decoy was on in the shape of Blazing Saddles, with Madeline as the teutonic temptress, Lili von Shtupp, strutting her stuff for the cowboys of Rock Ridge. Almost twenty years ago, this was my introduction to a strangely alluring woman capable of displaying confidence and vulnerability at the same time. I never quite shook that crush.

Too often, I think, the wrong people are forgotten by the world at large. So I just wanted to say that I miss Madeline and remember her with great fondness. And if you don't know her work, well, you should change that.

No comments: