24.8.03

There's a heaving, honking, booming, whistling, snaking monster in the neighbourhood.

Yes, it's Carnival time again, and this year they've moved it closer to my front door than ever before.

I'm feeling very apprehensive about Carnival because last year's seemed so seedy.

Maybe it was the weather, maybe it was where we hung out, maybe it was the limited intake of booze, or maybe it was the couple on top of a pillar dry-humping their way through the kama sutra while a crowd cheered them on.

Whatever, 2002 felt as far removed as possible from the joyous occasion that was my first experience of Carnival 12 months previously - and that good feeling was despite the fact my wallet was stolen.

Anyway, I get the feeling that what with the continual in-fighting among the organising committee, increasing pressure from the authorities, financial trouble, and its seemingly increasing popularity, that the whole event is very close to imploding. I hope not, but then I also think something has to change about the event. From talking to people who've been to far more than me, it does seem to have lost its way.

As for this year's, I know I'm not going to be allowed to escape it altogether, but I'm most certainly approaching it with caution.

No comments: