2.2.04

Quote of the Day
Justin Timberlake on that Janet Jackson moment:
"I am sorry that anyone was offended by the wardrobe malfunction during the halftime performance of the Super Bowl." Don't be sorry, Justin. What else would the office have found to talk about today?

One of the occupational hazards that comes with blogging is that very often the snappiest turns of phrase come at the most inopportune moments.

At four o'clock this morning, for example, I had plenty of interesting things to say about last night's magnificent Super Bowl. Unfortunately I was half way home and nowhere near a computer. Now, much in the way of Churchill's dream about the end of the war (a seemingly foolproof idea of how to end WWII came to him in his sleep, he woke up, wrote it down, dozed off again happy that his problem was solved, but when he awoke in the morning, he found his intricate notes were complete nonsense, and the war rumbled on) I've forgotten the great majority of what I was thinking.

When New England first won the Superbowl two years ago, just months after The Day That Changed The World (TM), the cynic in me marveled at how convenient it was that a team called the Patriots triumphed over adversity as America struggled to come to terms with 9/11. Sport as socio-political motivation? Don't discount it.

But after last night's win for the Pats, in what was one of the best of the 16 Super Sundays I've seen, I'm not so sure. Much though it pains me to admit it as a Dolfan, maybe they're just a good team. And maybe sometimes I just have to admit that my inner conspiracist takes things a little too far.

One of these days I hope I'll get Stateside to enjoy the big game among those other for whom its a real event. Besides which, I'll get to drink a drop of decent American beer. English ale is not permissible during the Super Bowl, and Michelob just doesn't cut the mustard. One of these days...

But I'll never be quite sure how I managed to miss Janet flashing the world.

No comments: