7.2.03

Oops. Thursday becomes Friday. Many apologies, dear friends (also many apologies for any typos - it's dreadfully difficult to type a sentence when you're half-cut).

I have a very good reason for being a bit plastered tonight. After getting up far too late, I decuded to go and see Gangs of New York. Except the local fleapit wasn't actually showing it on Thursday at 4.30pm, preferring a special preview of Final Destination 2. (As my darling brother Thomsk said, "How can you have a second final destination?") The answer? "They weren't expecting the first one to make that much money")

So having been stymied on my first choice of movie, while determined to see one, I had to kick around a mall for an hour or so, deciding which to grace with my presence. During this time, I came across a few good books (of which more another time) but finally plumped for About Schmidt. While I won't actually review it (leave that to IMDb and AICN) I'll just say that any journalist who describes it as a comedy is either lying or doing too much coke. It's a fantastic exercise in film producton, yes, with a performance from Jack Nicholson that I'd previously thought way beyond his current capability (the man was great).

But I left the cinema feeling more depressed and lonely that I have done in a long time. I always used to think I enjoyed going to the flicks on my own, but this film brought home the fact that I usually leave feeling sad and lonely, no matter how good the film. About Schmidt moved me in a way I'd forgotten was possible. Or rather it had access to an emotion I spend a great deal of my time succeeding in ignoring.

I felt so alone. So alone. I guess it pays homage to the director. I could, if I wanted, spend a great deal of my life feeling lonely. But I don't because it's a horrible, desolate place to be. But after leaving the theatre, I did need the reassurance of those close to me, Thomas, his gf Jane, and my flatmate Joe (remember these names, they'll feature much) and a great deal of alcohol. The people were all wonderful, and drew a couple of issues out of me. And many thanks to Joe for the multiple hugs.

I'm feeling better now, you'll be glad to hear (I hope) but I really have to stop, as it's very difficult to type.

Especially when you have to shut one eye to proof your own work...

No comments: