28.7.03

Excuse me while I enter geek mode for a moment, but I've just read some very exciting news: Blake's 7 is all set for a comeback. While it's all still in pre-production, and many things could prevent the plans from becoming a reality, the producers are hoping that an initial mini-series will lead to a full-on revival.

This can only be a good thing for sci-fi on TV, which is currently in something of a slump after the feast of the early 90s.

Blake's 7 was a major part of my childhood. Even though the Doctor accompanied me deep into adolescence, Blake's short life had a much greater influence in my formative years than the Time Lord. And although the BBC never afforded it the kind of budget that Star Trek enjoyed, and some of the production values showed that very clearly, even to an eight-year-old, for me Blake's 7 always had more backbone and balls than the American show.

Major characters died, betrayal was rife, cowardice was a fact of life, the universe was painted in shades rather than primary colours, and sex was very obviously a powerful weapon. And in Servalan, it gave me my first taste of how truly scary yet alluring some women could be.

According to the show's official website , they're aiming to make the new mini-series as The West Wing meets The Dirty Dozen in space. Not sure what that means, but it's sure to be worth watching.

The best bit for me, if this all comes off, is that Paul Darrow will be returning as Avon. Avon was always my favourite, dubious morals, mercenary streak, cynicism and all.

And in spite of the crew's seemingly fatal shootout with Federation troops at the end of the last episode, I've always maintained that Avon survived. More than 20 years I've held this belief, and now I feel vindicated.

So at the risk of appearing to be an ungracious winner, to all those who ever disagreed with me: I told you so. :p

No comments: