29.1.04

As I'm too pissed off (and pissed, having spent an evening drinking to suppress my anger at Dyke's resignation) to properly comment on the Blair-backed coup d'etat within the BBC, I've invited a guest blogger. My mother. A commander of the English language, this letter of hers to the Guardian was too good to avoid sharing:

The last few months have been painful for British democracy. The Hutton Report has now set the seal. Under this government, we have seen a chance to reform the Lords decline into a package undermining parliamentary checks and balances. We have witnessed the drafting of a communications bill which threatens the independence, integrity and variety of our press and media.

This week has been saddest of all. Government MPs have been bullied into voting against their own manifesto, and their consciences on university fees. We now watch the Prime Minister, buoyed by Lord Hutton’s biased findings, attempt to bludgeon the BBC into the submissive posture of a government lackey.

The BBC is a vital part of our beleaguered democratic process. It has erred and paid great penalty. But Alistair Campbell’s unappealing appearance on Newsnight left us in no doubt as to the ethos of this government and its will to punish those who exercise their right to question it.

The BBC has apologised. The government should now apologise to the country for damage it has inflicted on democracy, and learn its lessons. Otherwise, as a middle road Labour voter of 39 years’ standing, where shall I now put my vote?


I only hope that I get to use those skills I have learned from her in a medium that will make a difference. And whatever happens, let's make sure Blair is made to pay.

No comments: