31.1.04

Although you won't see my name, I was another proud signatory to the advert supporting Greg Dyke in today's Daily Telegraph. Placed and paid for by thousands of members of BBC staff it appears demand was so great and the deadline so tight that not all the petitions from our department were submitted in time.

Although it smarts that I'm not in print (especially galling because several people erroneously appear more than once) I know it really doesn't matter when I read through the names that did make the cut: stars like Lenny Henry, Radio 1's Edith Bowman, Jonathan Ross and Dawn French; elder statespeople of broadcasting such as Joan Bakewell and John Peel; old colleagues from the God Squad whom I've not heard from in years; current workmates; senior editors from BBC News; tea ladies and techies; even Shane Ritchie.

All these people wanted to express their dismay at the boss's departure, effectively forced from office because the government and civil service squirmed out of their shares of the blame for David Kelly's death.

More than a little embarrassing is the literal at the end of the ad. The BBC really should know the difference between "whose" and "who's". But as many TV and radio journalists will tell you, they're paid to be articulate and not necessarily literate.

I may not be in the list, and have nothing to show the grandkids when I tell them that I stood up and was counted, but the fact that the people of the BBC are refusing to let this miscarriage of justice stop them from doing their jobs is something I'll carry with me for a long time.

I'll continue to be objective in my professional capacity - my belief in the importance of the BBC's impartiality far outweighs any personal leanings I may have - but Tony Blair, Alistair Campbell and Brian Hutton can be sure they've just attracted the ire of a whole load of very passionate people.

No comments: