7.6.03

One of the greatest perks of my job is the opportunity to flirt with some of the weather girls who record the bulletins for our Interactive Television service. One can easily and anonymously employ wit, charm, sophistication, an occasional smidge of intrigue, and lashings of shameless flattery from the other end of a telephone line and get the instant gratification of seeing their reactions on camera. The voice can lie, but the eyes never do. It's so much easier than making cack-handed attempts at building real-life relationships.

Speaking of which, things seem to be back on an even keel.

Romantically speaking, The Woman is very much a thing of the past. Her recent troubles have allowed me to bury my previous confusion and focus on our friendship. They've also led to a significant adaptation in the way she acts towards me, which made my job all the more easy. We should be good friends.

The Propositioned is also gradually coming back into line. I can't help but feel that despite us assuring each other we were fine with what happened, she feels like she has to handle me with kid gloves. Asking if I'm okay, she seems to employ a little more concern in her voice than before the party. It's unnecessary, though, cos I still think she's great regardless of the scenario. I'm not about to get hung up on a drunken whim. She should just lean back and enjoy the ride.

I suppose, though, that what I'm missing at the moment is the instant access to a close female friend that I've been so used to throughout my life. I know I'm lucky to have so many women I can think of as close, but either they tend to be hundreds of miles away, or far too busy with their own lives to see that much of me. There's always been a girl who's been a rock for me, and for whom I've been a trusted, privileged confidante in return. And despite the fact that I think of certain people at work as good friends whom I trust, different people's shift patterns are so disparate that I don't believe many colleagues in our line of work can develop a close, lasting bond.

But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm feeling a little low. Or maybe I'm just different now.

Don't think of this as a wallow though. I'm fine. After all, I've got my weather girls.

No comments: